The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Vulcans... to swim or not to swim?

Postby Asso » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:52 pm

There's something Italian in Canadians?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:21 pm

What?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:57 pm

EK, you mean even in late August and September, the ocean is too cold for swimming there?

I'm surprised. It seems so temperate compared to New England. The sea in Maine and NH takes my breath away (literally -- I think it's a diving reflex) most of the year, but in late August into September it's often quite balmy. That's when the baby lobsters are also floating around in great clouds.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:37 am

According to mom who spent some time in California surfing, the pacific is ALWAYS freezing. I know in PEI it's barely tolorable but then they barely get a summer at all. Unfortunately I think cold would be the biggest obstical to a Vulcan swimming. Like dear honeybee so thoughtfully pointed out in her lovely story.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:44 am

Wow, you guys can really make a big discussion of anything :lol:

My two cents? Muslims. More concretely, Spanish Moorish of Al-Andalus. You know, they lived here for about 800 years (and even after all that time they weren't considered Spanish by the Christians :shock:) The point is, these guys came from the desert, from very dry places. And they built Alhambra, which probably is one of the most beautiful Spanish constructions and has water all around. It's almost a homage to water. It has fountains and water is channeled in the garden so you always hear water running. Because they loved water, they didn't have it in the desert. I'm bringing this up because T'Pol had a fountain in her house. A decorative little fountain. Which is a complete waste of water. But it's beautiful. And Vulcans appreciate beauty.

So, the point is that, even if I don't see it very probable (since Muslims weren't swimming champions either), I can understand if Vulcans have water pools. What I don't know is if Vulcans can tolerate water so well. I mean, if I'm swimming in the sea for more than fifteen minutes, my lips turn blue with cold and my skin wrinkles, so I don't want to think what could happen to the Vulcans.

On the other hand, I live next to the coast. And here we have this tradition of rowing regattas (called estropadak.) Well, some of the oarsmen don't know how to swim. I swear. They say "If the sea is so rough that it turns the boat over, I don't have any chance even if I know how to swim." So the Vulcans maybe have this logic of "I don't have to know how to swim, I only need a portable life jacket." :D

Great, I've done it again. I've given arguments for the both sides :faint:

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:16 am

Well Escriba since you are going to be a judge, I'd be scare if you couldn't argue both sides. ;-) What I love about you're unique abilities, is that you argue both sides so very well. You're objective and clear, and it's so nice to just sit back and read. So thanks for that post it was beautiful.

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:18 am

Mh... no offence, Escriba, but if I read attentively your post, it seems to me that you are bringing grist essentially to the mill of those who don't think Vulcans swim (or, at least, in the mass and willingly).
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:19 pm

No she was playing Devil's Advocate for both sides. :D

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:07 pm

Evidently not in my perception.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:36 pm

Honeybee, your point was not "fogged up". Your point was very clear! But I still disagree when you said ALL Vulcans are taught to swim. All Six billion on the planet? No, I disagree with that. Sorry. :dunno:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:40 pm

I don't know, it is a good survival skill to have. I think it'd be very smart for a government to set up a program to teach kids safety and survival and make it mandatory.

Fics

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:52 pm

Yes, it would be nice if it was manditory that everyone learn to swim...and every boater to get a boater's driving licence like you have to get a car drivers licence, and for everyone to have to learn CPR and renew it once a year. Sigh, but try to get that across to the general public! Many people won't vote for safety measures unless they have been touched personally by tragedy. Now maybe the Vulcans would be more public spirited or dare I say "logical" about this? But I don't really think so. I think Vulcans would find it an acceptable risk not to teach every Vulcan on the planet to swim.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Well Vulcan isn't America. I think it could happen like this, now I'm pretty sure Vulcans aren't told as children what they're going to be when they grow up. If I'm wrong let me know. So the Ministry of education makes it standard practice to teach kids how to swim in case they end up joining the space program or go to colonize other worlds.

Fics

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:04 pm

You are not wrong, Warpgirl! Your opinion is just as valid as mine, Dear! I just have a different opinion. :?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm

Oh I know, I was just imagining the Vulcan educational system. I mean Gym can't just be Kahs-Whan training and Kal'i'fee training can it?

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”