Vulcans... to swim or not to swim?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Vulcans... to swim or not to swim?

Postby Asso » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:00 pm

Linda wrote, among other things, as a comment on the beautiful Honeybee's story "Barefoot": But I find it hard to believe on a desert planet that all Vulcan children are taught to swim, when on earth which is two-thirds water, not all human children are taught to swim.
This aroused my curiosity. I tend to agree with Linda, but what do you think?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Vulcans... to swim or not to swim?

Postby bluetiger » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:22 pm

You know, if some Vulcan high mucky muck decided that swimming was a good survival skill, I wouldn't be surprised if they built a lap pool at the Vulcan Science Academy and required all children to learn. The Vulcans are after all a very regimented society.
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:53 pm

That's true. But, frankly, I have some feel that they are... contemptuous, too. To tell the true, this one is among the reasons, for me, because of which T'Pol has been so much struggling within with regard to her feelings for Trip. Vulcans don't need to swim. They fly in their technological spaceships, they have all they need. They are superior. Why the hell do they have to learn to swim?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:25 am

I see what you are saying Asso. I was assuming that Vulcans were teaching their children to swim long before they discovered Earth. Being so superior, they would want to excel at anything another culture could do. Since water is not unique to Earth, it would seem a vital part of any off-planet travels.
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:44 am

Touché! :D
But I'm still thinking Vulcan is a strange world. Where is water? Can it exist an evolved, advanced race so much tied to its biological needs? But, this apart, water is the first thing a race needs to live. Desert... mh... first of all there were Tigris and Euphrates.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:46 am

I can tell you why I decided that all Vulcans learned to swim.

It wouldn't be logical to enter a rushing creek without knowing how to swim, even a shallow one. So, I figure T'Pol would have to know how to swim or she wouldn't go into the creek.

Why, I thought? Because swimming is one of the best exercises there is. Also, it is an important survival skill, even if you live in a desert. Deserts sometimes have flash floods, and there are bodies of water on Vulcan.

But mostly I was thinking it is a really efficient form of exercise and Vulcans are more than capable of building pools and reservoirs.
Last edited by honeybee on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:55 am

You know, I've never actually heard about Vulcan rivers and seas. As you say they must have water to survive. Do they have any large bodies of water or must they pull it up from underground? I just went to memory-alpha and there is no canon for the surface water on Vulcan so I guess we each get to make it up like we desire it to be. :D

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:59 am

It must be clear that we are simply agreeably chatting. We have really few informations about Vulcan. It's desert and hot. But everywhere? Vulcans had many contacts with other races before they met Humans. What did they learn? I'm inclined to think they tend to be "isolated" in their behaviour, but this is only my perception.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:07 am

In order for intelligent humanoid life to evolve, there must be water and bodies of water on Vulcan - just not as many as on Earth. I think there are fewer bodies of water. But there also must be artificial bodies of water.

The state of Texas, where I grew up has only one natural lake. But there are lakes everywhere that serve as the reservoirs for major cities. Town Lake in Austin and Lake Houston in Houston, for example.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:16 am

You touched one among the oddest issues I found about the way writers displayed Vulcan (and not only it).
The reason because of which life (and, above all, intelligent life) got evolving on Earth, is the great diversity in the scenarios which Earth has.
I am persuaded Andoria and Vulcan, if it's true the way they are described) wouldn't have many chances for having some intelligent species.

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:22 am

And that is the wonderful thing about fan fiction. If there is no canon we can make things anyway we wish them to be, or in some cases go AU and run amok.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:25 am

I think the idea of all Vulcans learning to swim is a bit optimistic. One can assume though that those who serve for the Ministry of Security (like T'Pol did) are taught this vital skill as they need to be able to survive on alien planets.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:31 am

The planet Vulcan as shown in the Forge clearly has some blue splotches that suggest large lakes.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:32 am

Kotik wrote:I think the idea of all Vulcans learning to swim is a bit optimistic. One can assume though that those who serve for the Ministry of Security (like T'Pol did) are taught this vital skill as they need to be able to survive on alien planets.

Good point. (Well! Obviously regardless of the fact that T'Pol seems to me really "out role" in regard to her service for the Ministry of Security. :roll: )

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:52 am

Asso wrote:Good point. (Well! Obviously regardless of the fact that T'Pol seems to me really "out role" in regard to her service for the Ministry of Security. :roll: )

Well, I think it is firmly established that T'Pol's not your garden variety Vulcan :lol:

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”