The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Ludmila
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Show On Map: No

Re: "Enterprise: The Romulan War"

Postby Ludmila » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:07 pm

I immensely enjoyed new book. It became the best in this relaunch series for me. This book is living up to its title. But not in TnT department yet. IMHO, these books are gradually improving the depiction of TnT. I agree that it is still not perfect. But I like it more that way than when I was buying some sci-fi series. And the first book is excelled, the second one is very good, the third – indifferent and the next is mediocre. The authors of Enterprise relaunch books have a big space and many possibilities for the improvement of TnT portrayal and the increase of their joint scenes in the future books.
Because this thread without spoiler alert in its headline I'll attempt to conceal the details below.
SPOILER!!!:
I really appreciate that the events happened everywhere and we was able to see the very different POVs. I like the heterogeneity of Martian colonists and their special world. The inclusion of Gannet Brooks' reportages with introducing many new characters was a good and creative tool for creating the special atmosphere of the war time on a large scale and the global aspect of the events taking place In my view, her scenes were excessive and slightly annoying but not redundant, because it was giving me the keen perception of soaking myself in the thick of things on the quite diverse worlds.
"The Romulan War. Beneath The Raptor's Wings" has the great character moments for Archer, Shran, Hoshi and Travis, the important parts for the main cast in the action sequences, the thrilling multilayer entanglement of the spy stuff and the memorizing TnT scenes. But I'd like to see more TnT scenes as a pair (it was so long to get to those scenes and I did not wish to skip through pages) and Trip-centric and T'Pol-centric scenes (they are my favorite characters and I prefer to read about them, their feelings, thoughts, opinions and activities). This book disappointed me a bit in this respect (by a negligible margin of course, because I understand that it was not "The Great Adventures of TnT" or "The Story About Trip and T'Pol"). I might be fully pleased if this book was the same in relation to all other characters but with the addition of more TnT pieces.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm

That was nice.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:34 pm

You know, I wonder if the books will build toward the massive bummer of Vulcan being destroyed in the new film.

Hey....wait. I just thought of something. In Last Full Measure, old, depressed Trip was interacting with a very much alive George Kirk. So, that's Prime Universe. So, we could be building toward that - or the time line could split when Nero's ship and Trip's life could be way better. Except that means a destroyed Vulcan. So, he and T'Pol better settle on Earth. Then.

Okay, I'm thinking way too much about this.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:24 pm

Um yeah maybe just a little bit. Truth be told I will be VERY VERY VERY bummed out if the relaunch novels veer into Abrams AU. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE, LOVE Abrams AU as it's own thing, but I don't want it mixing too much with Rodenberry's and the killer B's Trek. Even thought the killer B's screwed up A LOT they deserve their visions to remain theirs.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:01 pm

I was visiting Treklit at Trek bbs when I saw the news that Margaret Clark is doing freelance work for Pocket books she's working on the 2011 Ships of the line Calendar. And I finally found out who the new StarTrek book editor is a woman named Jamie Costas apparently she's helped edit the Star Trek books for a long time.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:35 pm

Well, it's good that they have a pro involved. But I feel bad for Margaret Clark - losing her salary and insurance to the man that way. But I'm glad to see she's still involved in Trek because I respect her.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:23 pm

Gah. Freelance. Told ya.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison