Language misunderstandings

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Language misunderstandings

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:35 am

Yeah its cow. I have to admit that a culture that calls sausage and potatoes "bangers and mash" has to be fun on a friday night. Saturday and Sunday they probably suffer from Friday. ;-)
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

opal
Ensign
Ensign

Postby opal » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:52 pm

Alelou wrote:http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2007/07/eating-faggots.html

http://www.chow.com/recipes/12833

http://www.yourcounty.co.uk/recipes/faggots.html

Yes, welcome (back), Opal, but I'd have to say I wasn't completely out of bounds with that one. Google even came up with a bunch of food references FIRST for "faggots, English," and I was definitely a little worried about what would come up.

BTW, the first blog may well further interest those of us who enjoy this thread.

Thanks for the welcome Alelou

My apologies, I'm Scottish and we don't do fancy English food :lol: (Though it does have that other meaning too)

We're the people who eat porridge and haggis, neeps and tatties!

panyasan wrote:
opal wrote::wave:

Hi Opal! Nice to see you again! I assume you are the same Opal as the writer of Connections?

Hi panyasan

Yes, that's me :D

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:05 pm

May I add myself to those who are professing their enjoyment that you are back, Opal? :wave:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:31 pm

opal wrote:My apologies, I'm Scottish and we don't do fancy English food :lol: .

We're the people who eat porridge and haggis, neeps and tatties

I love haggis! But then again, I love Scotland. :D
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

opal
Ensign
Ensign

Postby opal » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:52 pm

Asso wrote:May I add myself to those who are professing their enjoyment that you are back, Opal? :wave:

Hello Asso,

My love for Trip and T'Pol has never left me, I've just been a little side tracked by new and shiny things for a while. :roll:

panyasan wrote:
opal wrote:My apologies, I'm Scottish and we don't do fancy English food :lol: .

We're the people who eat porridge and haggis, neeps and tatties

I love haggis! But then again, I love Scotland. :D

Yeah me too - but I'm alittle biased. Feeling a little guilty about taking this thread off topic though so if anyone else would like to say hello I've introduced myself in the appropriate thread : :D

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:22 pm

Opal, I am Silverbullet. I am also new to this thread. Hopefully I wil get to read some of your writings.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:22 pm

8) I have cousins in Scotland and have spent a fair amount of time in Edinburgh. It's a lovely city. And no, never had faggots there. Never had haggis either. It wasn't a family favorite and I can't say the concept appealed to me.

My favorite food I've only ever had in Scotland was pan-grilled sliced cod roe that we bought during a visit to Anstruther. Ooops, wait a minute. The Christmas pudding with hard sauce would have to be right up there, too. 8)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Alelou wrote:8) I have cousins in Scotland and have spent a fair amount of time in Edinburgh. It's a lovely city. And no, never had faggots there. Never had haggis either. It wasn't a family favorite and I can't say the concept appealed to me.

My favorite food I've only ever had in Scotland was pan-grilled sliced cod roe that we bought during a visit to Anstruther. Ooops, wait a minute. The Christmas pudding with hard sauce would have to be right up there, too. 8)

Isn't Edinborough, where you get those oil fried Mars bars? Damn, that was repulsive :shock: Was in a pub though there and heard a song called "Battle of the Prestonpans" by a band called Schiehallion - my favourite song .- ever - in the world :loveeyes:

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:12 pm

opal wrote:
Alelou wrote:Beyond fags as cigs, I'm pretty sure faggots are meatballs in England, aren't they?

:wave:

Sorry but no, meatballs are definitely meatballs in the UK. Faggots are either bundles of sticks for fuel or a particularly nasty slang term for homosexual males! :)

I'm afraid I have to disagree, sure the first thing that people think of is the homosexual term, but I've seen faggots on menus and on cardboard boxes, and I'm pretty sure they weren't chopped up gay guys. :P
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

opal
Ensign
Ensign

Postby opal » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Opal, I am Silverbullet. I am also new to this thread. Hopefully I wil get to read some of your writings.

Hi Silverbullet

You might have to wait a while but I am working on a story at the moment!

Alelou wrote:8) I have cousins in Scotland and have spent a fair amount of time in Edinburgh. It's a lovely city. And no, never had faggots there. Never had haggis either. It wasn't a family favorite and I can't say the concept appealed to me.

Cod roe isn't one of my favourite foods but I do like a good Christmas pudding. I'm interested to know what you mean by hard sauce? :)

Kotik wrote:Isn't Edinborough, where you get those oil fried Mars bars? Damn, that was repulsive :shock: Was in a pub though there and heard a song called "Battle of the Prestonpans" by a band called Schiehallion - my favourite song .- ever - in the world :loveeyes:

Yes I'm sure you can get deep fried Mars Bars in Edinburgh although I think the idea originated in Aberdeen! Our fish and chip shops will even deep fry pizza and other types of chocolate bars as well - I've never felt the need for such repulsive offerings myself!

dark_rain wrote:
opal wrote:
Alelou wrote:Beyond fags as cigs, I'm pretty sure faggots are meatballs in England, aren't they?

:wave:

Sorry but no, meatballs are definitely meatballs in the UK. Faggots are either bundles of sticks for fuel or a particularly nasty slang term for homosexual males! :)

I'm afraid I have to disagree, sure the first thing that people think of is the homosexual term, but I've seen faggots on menus and on cardboard boxes, and I'm pretty sure they weren't chopped up gay guys. :P

I think you may just have missed my later post when I apologised after my ignorance on this matter was corrected dark-rain ;-)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:32 pm

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-hard-sauce.htm

I don't know the ethnic derivation of this. Valerie married a Geordie so I suppose it may have come from his side of the family, but he's no cook so I doubt it. A friend of mine whose family hails from Essex also serves hard sauce on their Christmas pudding.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:32 pm

Speaking of odd menu Items. Anyone had Deep Fried Ice Cream? Believe it r not I have.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:41 pm

opal wrote:I think you may just have missed my later post when I apologised after my ignorance on this matter was corrected dark-rain ;-)

Gah, more than likely, my appologies. :)

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:41 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Speaking of odd menu Items. Anyone had Deep Fried Ice Cream? Believe it r not I have.

Yup. :D

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:01 pm

Deep Fried cheese cake is a southern thing. But the only fried things I like a lot is chicken and doughnuts. Back to languages... Did you know that in certain African languages the word for God is literally translated "The Big Guy" in English?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”