Build Trip's Family

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Build Trip's Family

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:52 pm

It should. But I can't think of any of my brothers who are younger than the older ones teaching them how to dance. It boggles my mind, I don't know any fraternal dynamics that says that makes sense. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that to me it doesn't make sense. But then a lot doesn't make sense to me, just look at my location thingie.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:09 pm

WarpGirl wrote:But I can't think of any of my brothers who are younger than the older ones teaching them how to dance.

I think you are making an assumption here. "Fusion" does not state that Trip was taught by his brother, only that he used said brother to practice. Specifically:
So I spent weeks practicing the two-step with my brother. I wanted to make sure I was ready.

Since, in my universe, Trip does not get along with his older sister, and Lizzie is a bit younger, his brother was the only real option.

But since its Trek, it really isn't supposed to make sense, I think. 8)
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:16 pm

Fair and valid point.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:49 am

In my universe:
Paternal Grandparents- Theresa and Charlie
Parents- Robin and Charles
Siblings- Michelle(older by thirteen months) husband- Sean Sullivan, sons- Jamie, Thomas, Mark, and Brian
Alan(younger by three years) wife- Julia Carter
Elizabeth(younger by six years)(deceased)

Trip and T'Pol
children- T'Resa
Morgan
Cyrus (deceased)
T'San- husband- Kelen, son- Trace
Additional Players:
Malcolm Reed- wife Helen, twin sons- David and Stuart Reed
Hoshi Sato- husband Robert, son- Kenshi (both deceased)
Soval- wife- T'San (deceased)
T'Ana- very good friend of Thomas

Since these are the people I tend to write about, I keep a log :lol:
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:51 am

:D

Fics

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:09 pm

bluetiger wrote:In my universe:
Paternal Grandparents- Theresa and Charlie
Parents- Robin and Charles
Siblings- Michelle(older by thirteen months) husband- Sean Sullivan, sons- Jamie, Thomas, Mark, and Brian
Alan(younger by three years) wife- Julia Carter
Elizabeth(younger by six years)(deceased)

Trip and T'Pol
children- T'Resa
Morgan
Cyrus (deceased)
T'San- husband- Kelen, son- Trace
Additional Players:
Malcolm Reed- wife Helen, twin sons- David and Stuart Reed
Hoshi Sato- husband Robert, son- Kenshi (both deceased)
Soval- wife- T'San (deceased)
T'Ana- very good friend of Thomas

Since these are the people I tend to write about, I keep a log :lol:

I love your universe, Bluetiger! :thumbsup: :loveeyes:

It's so interesting to see different authors' take on Trip's family in their stories. In my "Shadow and Echoes" series, his parents are Charles and Elaine "Gracie"(Like TGTMD), sisters Michelle (husband Keith, son Ian) and Lizzie (deceased) and brother Edward.

And in my AU Switcheroo series, Lizzie's still alive :-D, and Trip's older sister is Alexandra.
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:52 pm

In Commander Tucker Proposes and Having His Baby I assume the same Tucker family: Charlie and Elaine Tucker (Now I'm wondering where I picked up Elaine? Did Ragua use that?) Older sister Hannah, married to Patrick, who together have Liam, who eventually marries Brigid and they have a baby Maggie.) And there's dead Lizzie, of course.

If it were not for the mathematical improbability of the poor Tuckers losing so many damned kids -- they'd be worse than the Kennedys -- I'd be tempted to give Trip a dead brother. One, it corrects my screwed-up canon, which would make me feel better. Two, it could explain why he's so unusually nurturing and solicitous for a guy. Kids often know when mama is having a nervous breakdown and will step in to try to prop the family dynamic up. Also, if it was traumatic this might also explain why dead brother is never mentioned... though you would expect a few pictures or something.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:36 pm

I thought about giving Trip a dead brother, too, Alelou. There's just something about his personality that, to me, hints at tragedy in his past even before Lizzie's death. I eventually decided that his parents were abusive, but at the same time I really, really wanted to like the Tucker family. My ultimate solution is that Trip was adopted when he was old enough to remember his biological parents but young enough to (mostly) overcome it with the help of an extremely loving new family.

Here's my universe:

Biological Parents - Paul and Rita (died when he was six and Lizzie was three; not good people)

Adoptive Parents - Charles (a cop originally from Texas) and Catherine (a nurse originally from Louisiana)

Two older brothers (Albert, married with a son and Frank, a bachelor), one older sister (Susan, divorced with two sons), and one younger sister (Lizzie, deceased). Trip is at least five years younger than his youngest older sibling.

Edit: The reason I'm hesitant to use this background is that Sim didn't allude to any of it when he was growing up.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:47 pm

All we got from Sim was that they had a dog, right? And that Mom wanted him to be an architect and Dad an engineer. I think that's it.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:52 pm

Alelou wrote:Now I'm wondering where I picked up Elaine?

From "The Good That Men Do." That's the name they used for his mom in the books.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:18 pm

Maybe, but it wouldn't have been out of a desire to honor that, since I just can't get into those books; I never do anything but skim through them looking for TnT scenes. Besides, I remember being struck that they had called her Elaine because I thought THEY had picked it up from a fanfic, I even remember going and checking. Unfortunately I can't remember which one, now. I would have guessed it was "Court and Spark," but I can't find an "Elaine" in there now -- I can't find her name at all, actually -- seems she's just Mrs. Tucker. Maybe it was from Hopeful Romantic's Tucker family? At any rate, somebody whose work I liked had an Elaine at Trip T'Poler's, I'm sure of it.

I suppose maybe it did start to have a feel of canon after I'd seen it in two places, though.

Plus, I just like the name. It's similar to Laney, short for Delaney, which I'd already used for a Tucker great-aunt that he named his little alien baby after in my Unexpected AU.
Image.Image

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I ended up using the name in my Endeavour stuff after I read TGMTD. I ditched most of the rest of the family details though - the whole brother "Albert" thing or how he was gay and the like - but using "Elaine" worked for me. *shrug*

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:25 pm

LOL. Maybe it was Endeavour, then.
Image.Image

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:30 pm

I used the gay brother, but I put him in Ireland to explain the whole nephew in Ireland thing in Breaking the Ice, which the books don't do.

Then, I used him in the MU, but made him a Pansy Division type punk rather than the nice guy we saw in the books. But in either universe, he looked out for his little brother and sister.

In the MU, I also had Trip and Lizzie both talking all the time about how awful their parents were, but I gave very little detail except that they were going to hit the roof when Trip married an alien. I think I'll explore their MU awfulness more in the sequel, but I'm not thinking extreme torturers or anything - just corrupt and bourgeois and bigoted.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:59 pm

Well, in my "warped" imagination I found the whole Ireland thing very facinating... I was like "Now I wonder how that happened?" So of course I had to let every dramatic impulse I have out. Here's what I came up with, when Charles Jr. was at harvard for nautical engineering, he used to go to NY to party. There he met Fiona O'Neill a young Irish woman attending Julliard (and yeah I did Fiona because of Burn Notice, and O'Neill from SG-1) and I figured that maybe they didn't need to have the same background, or talents, but they just really liked who the other person was. They found each other interesting, and eventually they fell in love. So they and the kids spent a lot of time both in the South (Mississippi for his parents and FLA for home) and Dublin with her family.

I got around the "oldest son" getting the father's name by making Trip and Lizzy both "accidents" origionally the Tuckers only wanted two kids.

Their oldest son Liam went to Trinity, and became a cultural anthropologist, then stayed in Ireland with his Irish childhood sweetheart. And now teaches at Oxford.

Maeve the oldest daughter, is a real tough girl, very independent, she became a pediatric neurosurgon and works a John's Hopkins. And she works with Vulcans a lot, because she's one of the few humans they think is smart enough. And she has the absolute worst taste in men.

Then Trip who we know.

Then Lizzy who finally fullfilled Mama's dream of an architect in the family. She's the visual artist in the family. Very girlie, sort of the peace maker.

I also made the Tucker kids not all that close in age. The are two years between Liam and Maeve, but there is 4 years between Maeve and Trip and 4 years between Trip and Lizzy.

I never got into the books, and I never thought to take the books seriously in any Trek, IDK why. :vulcan:

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”