APRIL '09 PROMPT! :)

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aquarius
Site Admin

APRIL '09 PROMPT! :)

Postby Aquarius » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:33 pm

You asked for it, you got it--the April word prompt is here! :D

For the benefit of those who've just joined us (and there have been quite a few, haven't there???), here's how it works: I give you a word, and you write a story about Trip and/or T'Pol based on whatever thought that word inspires in you. The word itself does not have to appear in the story--this isn't a challenge with all kinds of crazy requirements or things to include or anything like that. Any genre or style is welcome, and there is no minimum or maximum word length.

Lots of people post their response here in the thread if it's on the short side, or they submit it for archival if it's longer, or maybe too dirty for mixed company. :wink:

And though I list these prompts monthly, there is no time limit--if you get an idea from a prompt six months later, it's still welcome. Seriously, THIS crowd saying "no" to new fic of any kind??? You must've bumped your head if you thought THAT was gonna happen! :lol:

So without further ado, your word for the month is...

ANTICIPATION

Have at it.

Trying something different here: in the event that you're looking for inspiration and missed out on a prompt from before, or maybe you're new and this word doesn't particularly grab you, then why not shop from prompts past?

SEPTEMBER 'O8 Intoxication
OCTOBER 'O8 Trick OR Treat
NOVEMBER 'O8 Wrecked
DECEMBER 'O8 Whisper
JANUARY '09 Scream
FEBRUARY '09 Water
MARCH '09 Nature
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: APRIL '09 PROMPT! :)

Postby Alelou » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:50 pm

Aquarius wrote: Seriously, THIS crowd saying "no" to new fic of any kind??? You must've bumped your head if you thought THAT was gonna happen! :lol:

Coughs gently ... Archer/T'Pol ....
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:56 pm

Aquarius wrote:You asked for it, you got it--the April word prompt is here! :D

For the benefit of those who've just joined us (and there have been quite a few, haven't there???), here's how it works: I give you a word, and you write a story about Trip and/or T'Pol based on whatever thought that word inspires in you. The word itself does not have to appear in the story--this isn't a challenge with all kinds of crazy requirements or things to include or anything like that. Any genre or style is welcome, and there is no minimum or maximum word length.

Lots of people post their response here in the thread if it's on the short side, or they submit it for archival if it's longer, or maybe too dirty for mixed company. :wink:

And though I list these prompts monthly, there is no time limit--if you get an idea from a prompt six months later, it's still welcome. Seriously, THIS crowd saying "no" to new fic of any kind??? You must've bumped your head if you thought THAT was gonna happen! :lol:

So without further ado, your word for the month is...

ANTICIPATION

Have at it.

Trying something different here: in the event that you're looking for inspiration and missed out on a prompt from before, or maybe you're new and this word doesn't particularly grab you, then why not shop from prompts past?

SEPTEMBER 'O8 Intoxication
OCTOBER 'O8 Trick OR Treat
NOVEMBER 'O8 Wrecked
DECEMBER 'O8 Whisper
JANUARY '09 Scream
FEBRUARY '09 Water
MARCH '09 Nature

I couldn't pay someone to be such a go-go booster :D
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:03 am

Alelou wrote:
Aquarius wrote: Seriously, THIS crowd saying "no" to new fic of any kind??? You must've bumped your head if you thought THAT was gonna happen! :lol:

Coughs gently ... Archer/T'Pol ....

Okay, well there is THAT...but we all know what we're here for so I wasn't necessarily thinking that anyone would GO THERE! :upchuck:

Elessar Just what are you trying to say, Boss??? :vulcan:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:23 am

He likes you.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:41 am

Okay, good. :thumbsup: Right on.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:42 am

Aquarius wrote:Okay, good. :thumbsup: Right on.

LOL, it was a good thing! :guffaw:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:44 am

Well, you know...I was just a little worried about being the kind of peppy that you just want to punch in the nose, right??? :lol:

Little Red
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Little Red » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:15 am

OMGZ.

Two things have become clear:

1) Why there are so many fics on this archive with the same or similar one-word titles. [i]Challenges!{/i] Should have been obvious, really. (It was that, or rationing titles for the war effort.)

2) I MUST WRITE FIC FOR THIS RIGHT NOW.

... 2.5) Does it count as "illness" or "personal time" to call in to work due to emergency plot bunny?

-- Little Red, who wonders if "mental health" is actually a PTO category these days.
Icon by ashism.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:57 pm

Little Red wrote:... 2.5) Does it count as "illness" or "personal time" to call in to work due to emergency plot bunny?

-- Little Red, who wonders if "mental health" is actually a PTO category these days.

I've done it. I told them I couldn't come in 'cause I had scurvy. :badgrin:

Little Red
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Little Red » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:58 pm

I'm not sure why scurvy is so inherently hilarious, since I imagine it would suck to actually *have* it...

Though I was just thinking of scurvy in another thread when it occurred to me that Vulcans eat nothing but Plomeek soup... can't a pointy-eared girl get some tofu or something?

-- Little Red, who would like to report that, according to wikipedia, GUINEA PIGS CAN GET SCURVY. :shock:
Icon by ashism.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 pm

Or perhaps a nice GardenBurger?

Little Red
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Little Red » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:21 pm

Aquarius wrote:Or perhaps a nice GardenBurger?

This should not be taken as my prompt response, FYI. ;) Imagine this in the happy fluffy time after "Bound."

"A what?"

With T'Pol's superior Vulcan hearing (which she reminds him about every single time she catches him muttering numbers aloud as he works), Trip knows that T'Pol only asks people to repeat themselves when she's trying to sound especially non-emotionally incredulous.

"It's a tofu-dog," Archer repeats, nudging the small, separate serving plate closer towards her. "According to Chef, anyway."

T'Pol casts a wary glance at Porthos, begging patiently for dropped scraps under the dining table, and Trip can't help but snicker.

Archer has on his best Completely Genuine, But I Might Make It An Order At Any Moment Face. "It's completely vegetarian, Commander."

Trip helpfully reaches over and serves her one of the mock sausages, before serving himself two of the real ones. He's been waiting for hot dog day for -- oh -- nearly four years, it seems. Given Chef's reluctance to serve anything as nutritionally suspect as genuine hot dogs, Trip figures there might be a few extra vitamins packed in there, but he's sure enough ketchup will mask them.

T'Pol shoots him a haughty look. Over the years he may have successfully wheedled her into pie, one bite of a peach, and a slice of pizza (which she cut into very small bites while lecturing him rather sweetly on his lack of adequate healthy vegetable intake), but that doesn't mean she's about to happily accept foreign food onto her plate.

"Just one bite," he teases her with what he hopes is a charming, coercive grin.

Archer clears his throat in that way he has of nonchalantly pointing out that Trip is staring at T'Pol, and while he's all not-reporting-anything-suspicious about his two senior officers' complicated off-duty conduct, he'd like Trip to at least pretend to show some discretion. Trip thinks that's a little unfair, really, since he's been teasing the heck out of T'Pol for years before they had an explosive affair in the Expanse, and besides, he catches T'Pol staring at him all the time, and Archer never clears his throat at her.

With the sullen look of a cadet on disciplinary action, T'Pol picks up her knife and makes to slice off a sliver of the offending human food.

"Oh, no, you can't eat it like that." Trip passes her the basket of toasted buns.

Archer indicates his own plate of already-bunned-and-condimented hot dogs. "It's a human tradition, T'Pol. I'm not sure you can truly understand our culture without it."

T'Pol gives her captain a glare that could fry an ant before using her fork to spear a bun. "That seems unlikely."

Archer has already taken a bite, but that doesn't stop him from saying, "No, no, human cultures are completely inseparable from their cuisines. Hot dogs are a cultural icon. In North America, anyway."

"Polish sausage," Trip points out, holding up a hot dog and trying to pretend it smells more like genuine open-air barbecue.

T'Pol manages to wrap her hot dog in its bun without touching it. She accepts the thinnest layer of mustard, but draws the line at ketchup and relish.

"That's mostly sugar," she criticizes.

"And vegetables," Trip replies. Even though Trip can sense her irritation mounting -- sense it in a weird, Vulcan way that he's pretty sure he only gets the palest glimmer of -- he can't help trying to egg her on.

Archer, not helping, points out: "Technically, tomatoes and cucumbers are fruits."

"I will try the tofu-dog," T'Pol declares.

"You won't like it without ketchup," Trip points out, though, honestly, he has no idea what tofu-dogs taste like, condimented or otherwise. His mother occasionally accedes to the modern human trend of using resequenced protein instead of the actual animal flesh T'Pol finds so barbaric, but she's still a down-home Southern cook at heart, and nary a soybean ever entered Trip's childhood home.

T'Pol neatly slices the smallest possible edge, sniffs it, and then chews thoughtfully.

"Well?" Archer asks.

She takes a sip of water. "I do not feel that I understand your culture significantly more than I did a minute ago," is all she'll say. "This is unnecessary. Plomeek soup is sufficient to meet my dietary requirements for this meal." She glances at Porthos again, perhaps considering the age-old childhood trick of feeding unwanted food to the animal under the table. Porthos whines hopefully, reading her mind.

Chef sent out a bowl of Plomeek soup for her as well, of course. Trip isn't sure how T'Pol sweet-talked him early in the mission, but Vulcan dishes always appear on the table unrequested whenever new human foods are being offered.

"That's all you eat," Trip replies critically.

She raises an eyebrow. She has at least managed to figure out -- maybe thanks to her end of the strange Vulcan bond, he's not sure -- when he's exaggerating for dramatic emphasis, but she still doesn't like it.

"Well, almost all you eat. Don't you want some variety?"

"Humans put all too much emphasis on the need for variety," she intones, and something cool and unfriendly brushes against his mind. A glance at Archer tells Trip that T'Pol's icy overtones weren't obvious to the Captain, at least, but he wonders if he's in for a few weeks of guessing what she's annoyed about this time. It's driving him a bit crazy to see only flashes of her subtly changing Vulcan moods on the periphery of his mental vision.

In case her side of their mental telegraph wire is a little clearer, he tries to think warm, kind thoughts. "Don't you need more protein or something?"

He does actually worry about that. T'Pol loses weight that she can't afford to in times of stress, and he has enough of his mother in him to fret at the idea that anybody he cares about might not be eating enough.

"My dietary requirements are not the same as yours," she says, voice a little gentler. He's not the only one at the table goading her to eat a hot dog, but Trip thinks that comment was meant mostly for him.

Archer doesn't clear his throat, but Trip can tell he's thinking about it, so he tries to stare less obviously. "Seriously," he adds. "I'd starve to death on what you eat."

T'Pol raises an eyebrow and obviously criticizes his plate of hot dogs and potato salad. "Doubtful. Though you would lower your risk for scurvy."

Archer coughs out a laugh. "What, have you been studying archaic Earth diseases?"

"The last known case of scurvy in an adult human occurred less than forty years ago," T'Pol retorts. Archer's still gaping at her. "As you say, I am attempting to better understand your culture."

The captain shakes his head. "You sure have an odd way of going about it."

T'Pol sips delicately at her soup, before admitting, "A comprehensive study of human pathology was required reading before accepting a posting at the Vulcan consulate on Earth."

No wonder most Vulcans didn't seem to have time to learn basic human pleasantries, Trip thought. They were too busy innoculating themselves against the Bubonic Plague.

"I have found this knowledge to be quite helpful whenever I have been called upon to assist Doctor Phlox," T'Pol adds.

Archer grins and takes a swig of the real, honest-to-goodness, Enterprise-brewed beer that Chef whipped up for the occasion. Trip helped him install the still, and he has to admit, the brew made by an actual cook is much better than the standard malt liquor, code-named "Warp Sludge", that engineers typically cook up on out-of-the-way plasma junctions.

"You sure you're not going to eat the rest of that?" Trip nags her.

Despite the typical Vulcan distaste for sharing plates in all but the most dire survival situations, she offers, "You may have it if you wish."

Archer's slightly devious eyes are on Trip now. "Hoshi swears that Chef can make tofu taste just like the real thing."

Trip makes a face. "I'm good, thanks."

T'Pol, pulling her mean streak out of a closet where it's been hiding for the past few weeks, widens her eyes just a bit pitifully. "It's hardly fair to ask me to sample something from your own world that you won't eat yourself."

"She's got a point, Trip," says Archer, not helping.

Trip glares between them both for a few minutes, Archer mugging a grin, T'Pol placidly observing him with a just-slightly-raised eyebrow.

How bad can it be? He narrows his eyes at her. "All right, Commander. I'll split it with you."

Now Archer is grinning wildly at the both, and Trip can't help but wish for a little throat-clearing right about then.

T'Pol agrees to his dare by slicing the tofu dog exactly in half with a precision that probably couldn't be beat if she had a ruler. She doesn't appear to be too distressed at the prospect of finishing her half.

He doesn't add additional condiments to his, wary of being accused of cheating.

"I should warn you," T'Pol points out. "I suspect this contains vegetable matter."

He knows he's not imagining it this time -- he can feel her sitting there being amused.

He doesn't know if this bond thing can be used to share actual words -- and if it can, he's pretty sure it'll take another ten years for T'Pol to show him how -- but he gives it his best shot.

Anything for you, honey.

The look on her face makes the tofu dog entirely worthwhile.

And the truth is, it's not really that bad.

*end*
Icon by ashism.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:35 pm

Awesome! I always love a "screw with T'Pol's food" fic! :lol: I am also amused that scurvy made its way in. :D

Just what I needed today. Thank you!

(goes off to ponder Vulcan weenie roasts...)

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:54 pm

I was fine up until the line about making tofu like the real thing. Never ever going to happen. I have friends who love the stuff and they swear you can't tell the difference if you cook it right, but I can't eat it.

Good job though. I always enjoy a playful banter between TnT.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”